Your diet also plays a crucial role in diabetes management. There are some foods that are known to control high blood sugar levels naturally and it may help to include them in your daily diet.
1. Fenugreek seeds: “Consume about one teaspoon of fenugreek powder (methi dana powder) with lukewarm water early morning before you start your day. They contain fiber and help in slowing the digestion process and thus regulates the absorption of carbohydrates and sugar,” says Dr. Shikha Sharma.
2. Barley: “Whole grains like oats, brown rice or millets like jowar and ragi contain both soluble and insoluble fibre that helps with sugar control,” shares Consultant Nutritionist Dr. Rupali Datta.
3. Amla: Take two teaspoons of amla juice early morning. It also contains a mineral called chromium which regulates carbohydrate metabolism and helps in making your body more responsive to insulin.
4. Nuts: According to a study published in the journal BMJ Open, you should include at least 50 grams of almonds, cashews, chestnuts, walnuts or pistachios in your daily diet to control high levels of blood fats (triglycerides) and sugars.
5. Protein-rich foods: According to Dr. Rupali Datta, “Proteins from eggs, meat fish and chicken or from vegetarian sources like dals, paneer or besan help control blood sugar levels.
Apart from these foods, you must indulge in regular exercise or some kind of physical activity to maintain a fit and active lifestyle and keep your blood sugar levels in check